Thursday, January 28, 2010

THE ETERNAL BATTLE

"We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace-business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering. They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob." -- Franklin D. Roosevelt, October 31, 1936.


WHY WE DO, WHAT WE DO

Some days I question weather one person or a group of people can truly change the world. I question why I keep posting these blogs. I wonder why I keep calling my Senators, why I engage people in public?

THE ETERNAL BATTLE

ORGANIZED MONEY V. ORGANIZED PEOPLE

Sometimes it seems all irrelevant, especially when The Supreme Court rules corporations can spend unlimited amounts of money in influence elections. I started this post with the goal of explaining why people pursue careers in public service. But I cannot, I know people have felt pain and suffering themselves and want other people not to experience these things.

IT TRULY TAKES A VILLAGE

I remember laughing at seemingly childish statements like, It takes a village. I remember cracking jokes about about their hippy values. When did I realize it truly takes a community, not just to raise a child but to protect everything important in our society. I want to put my finger on it so I can tell other people! But I cannot! My experiences created the person I am, if another person led my life, would they have the same values and goals? We do not know. So we push the facts and let the rationale being decide for themselves. But when the facts are obscured the person is at a disadvantage. If this person thinks the network they are watching is FAIR AND BALANCED. This is much like blaming the victim instead of the abuser. We must have sympathy for the people who cannot get past their anger and fear. In order to win their opinion we cannot condensed, we must act like Jesus and love them unconditionally, they are the ones being used and abused, they are the victim.

Community organizers talk about organized money and organized people. This is the battle that has been fought since humans came out of the caves and into civilizations. The powerful, well funded and well connected will always have an advantage, but they will never have what communities have, invested people affected by the problem and motivated to change. We also have the numbers, we only have to get those numbers motivated and engaged to take on the challenged their community faces. People think this is a new fight, but its as old as humanity. Thats why I am so hopeful, this is another step in humanities struggle to get it right. We are on the right path, we need more bodies, but not just bodies for the sake of numbers,. We need leaders who can connect with communities and keep those relationships in their communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment